Saturday, August 22, 2015

SkyMaster

"We are going on the SkyMaster."

"Okay..." I looked at Matt, unsure. We were at a fair and going to take in some rides. Let's just say I am not a big rides kind of girl. I don't like spinny. I hate upside down. I love heights, but more like going to the edge of a mountain and looking down into a beautiful valley, not looking down on more rides, busy people... You get the picture? But there we were, in line for the SkyMaster, standing on concrete, the sound of shrill screams filling our ears as the sent of funnel cakes floated in the air. The screams above us suddenly became louder. I looked up to see those on the ride get swung upside down, and then held there for what seemed like an eternity. Eyes wide, I turned to Matt. You want me to go on that?! My eyes said. 

"You know you want to," he said. "Deep down you know you want to." He was right. I couldn't almost go and then chicken out! That just wouldn't set with me. 

The ride ended. People got off, and on we went. Matt and I got in, sat down, and pulled down our safety bars. 

"What am I doing in here?" 

"It's gonna be fun! Trust me." Matt tried reassuring me. I wasn't so sure. The ride started. We barely were even going when I started screaming. 

"Ahhhh! Ahh! Ahhhhhh!" 

We were gaining momentum. Soon went upside down for the first time. 

"Ahh! Matt! Matt... Matt??!" 

It kept going and going. For a split second I was really having fun. Then we went upside down again and this time stayed that way. 

"Ahhh!!! Ah! Ah! Matthew Carlson, what are you doing to me?!!" 

"Laura, open your eyes."

"No!" I flashed them open. I could see out across the fair. All the rides. All the people. The blue hills behind it all with the sun shining on them. It really was quite a sight. But as soon as we started moving again I closed them. 

We went all the way around a few times. Upside down, then back around. Fast. It feels like I'm flying. The moment of enjoyment ended quickly as I started to feel light headed. 

"Oh no! Ohh no! Oh my goodness!" 

"Laura, you're gonna be okay." 

"Okay, I can do this. I can do this. Ahh! Ah! Ahhhhhh!" 

Though I felt it was going to be never ending, before I knew it, the ride was actually over. 

"Are you okay?" Matt asked. "I've never heard you scream like that before." I've never screamed like that before, I thought. 

As I think back on this now, I can't help but laugh! Replaying it in my head, it's quite hilarious to me. A different side of me was shown both to Matt, and to myself. And I wouldn't trade this new memory for anything.  But I think a lesson can be taken away as well. 

Sometimes life throws you upside down. Go ahead and open your eyes because you just might see beauty. Don't be afraid to take a risk. Go out of your comfort zone. Just trust. What seems scary won't last forever. You'll get turned right side up again. So live life to the fullest. 

Who knows, it might be fun! 


3 comments:

  1. Haha! Me too, now... then i wasn't so sure. (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent bit of wisdom to take from this experience. I wholeheartedly agree.

    ReplyDelete