Saturday, July 4, 2015

Still a Grand Old Flag

"You're a grand old flag, you're a high-flying flag!"

These words were familiar for my lips to sing as a young girl, and I always did so excitedly. My small country school started every morning by raising the flag, saying the Pledge, and singing a patriotic song.

"And forever in peace may you wave."

I can still picture that beautiful flag, gently swaying in the spring breeze. The sight invigorated me. It stirred something deep inside--something passionate, something proud.

"You're the emblem of, the land I love."

I was proud of that flag. Proud of all it stood for, proud of those who fought for it, proud of the principles our country was founded upon, proud of those who founded it, proud to live in the "home of the free and the brave."

Our flag is STILL a grand old flag! America is still a free country. The history of our foundation cannot be changed.

Though our country and world is changing, America still holds values that need to be celebrated. So let us celebrate! Let's celebrate freedom.

"May auld acquaintance be forgot, keep your eye on the grand old flag!"

No comments:

Post a Comment