Sunday, July 19, 2015

"For Freedom You've Set Me Free"

"For freedom you've set me free
And yes, I am free indeed
You rewrote my name, unshackled my shame
You opened my eyes to see that I am free" 

I recently heard this song, "Liberty",  by Shane and Shane for the first time. It got me thinking. Christ has set us free, not just so we are no longer under the curse of sin, but so we can live in freedom! 

Romans 8:1-2 says, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death." 

He has set us free for freedom. He wants us to live in freedom. When we truly live as free, new creations in Christ, we show the world what it means to be alive. Being free doesn't mean we can do whatever we want, but we are no longer bound under death. Sin has no hold on you. 

The Fall has quenched the human spirit. Christ's freedom restores it. Freedom is being able to be all God created you for and to fulfill what He has called you to do. Living free is being unafraid to let the joy of the Lord flow from your soul. 


When we are set free, we are a racehorse who was held in the box and finally released, ready to run with full force. Being free means nothing holds back your full potential. Newsboys' song, "I am Free," says it well. 
"I am free to run
I am free to dance
I am free to live for You
I am free!
Yes, I am free"

If we have surrendered our lives to Christ, He has cleansed us and made us free, for freedom. So let's live it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment